I'm not counting, just thinking. And realizing that every single night since I have been here, I have had something new to thank the Lord for. Not saying that I don't thank Him regularly, but something about a HUGE life change makes you think about life and the things that matter most.
Since moving 436 miles from home, I've come to realize that there are so many things I love about this place that I now call home...
In no particular order.
1. My job. I am confident that this will be my career. And for many, many years to come.
2. The difference that it made in my relationship with my mom. Although our relationship has always been extremely strong, this move has truly made me realize how important she is in my life and that I need her every single day. Thanks Mom.
3. The sunset, weather, climate, this city as a whole. I already know that I am going to enjoy the fall weather that has been soaking into Des Moines over the last couple days. This city has so many things to do and see and I am loving it.
4. The church that I've been going to. It is seriously huge but feels so small. Best message (and worship music!) I have heard in a very, very long time last Sunday. It reminded me that when I feel like I have nothing, have no one, and won't make it... that I have everything I need, have someone by my side all the time, and will be just fine - God will always provide.
5. My Iowa family. They have made me feel loved and extremely blessed knowing that I can reach out to them anytime, for anything.
7. The boy. The decision to move to this place that I knew very little about was a lot easier to swallow knowing there is someone here that understands what I need and is willing to do anything he can to make sure I know he supports absolutely everything I do.
8. The people. They hold the door, they say please and thank you, they buy your lunch, they are never in a hurry.
9. Soft serve ice cream at the gas stations. (and if you know me, it is my absolute weakness!) Now that I think about it, it's a little weird but seriously... where else can you go and get an ice cream cone at the gas station? Any time you want and it's like a buck.
11. Last but not least. Myself. The Laura that lives in Iowa is different, and not a bad different. I don't know how or why. I don't have the slightest clue. I just feel more like myself. I am happy. I am content. I am encouraged to make a difference and quit letting the small things affect the things that truly matter the most. I'm able to be myself and do the things for ME, instead of everyone else.
With all of the things that I have truly fallen in love
with over and over again in this place,
I think I will finish unpacking the last box and
finally make myself at home. :)
with over and over again in this place,
I think I will finish unpacking the last box and
finally make myself at home. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment